No hard suitcases, preferably soft water proof material bags. The safaris take place in a hot climate, therefore we recommend cotton wear. Bring clothing you’ve ridden in before, to avoid rashes and blisters. To avoid rubbing on the same spot, bring different riding trousers. All the clothing should be as nature-coloured as possible, beige, khaki and nature green. The darker colours the better and avoid wearing white and red. Before the safari, there will be possibilities to purchase Kaskazi Horse Safari t-shirts and caps for a fee of 20 USD per item.
As some of the terrains are thorny acacia forest, a pair of long or short chaps comes very handily. It is important to wear long sleeve shirts and to bring sunscreen along as the African sun is strong and can cause severe sunstroke. Sunglasses are highly recommended, not only for the sun but also for the dust, as during dry season in Tanzania, some areas become dessert like.Bring insect repellent for the evenings, a head torch and a light raincoat. The rains are very hard to foresee and rather be prepared than unprepared.
We do not keep any riding gear in camp, so helmets and chaps you will have to bring yourself and we strongly advise everyone to wear a helmet out on safaris.
A list of items that may be useful follows:
- 2 x riding trousers
- 2 x t-shirt /shirt while on safari (Natured colored)
- 2 x Long sleeve shirts /jumpers for the evenings
- 1 x Loose comfortable trousers for the evenings
- 1 x riding boots (preferably leather)
- Flip-flops or sports sandals (showers, and airing feet)
- 1 x Belt (that you can attach items onto, small camera, binoculars, compass etc., you will find it handy and easy access when out riding).
- Bring your own saddle pad to put on top of your saddle
- Camel pack (for drinking water)
- Book to read
- Hat/ Helmet (once again we highly recommend all riders to wear helmets, great protection for your head but also from the sun)
- Chaps (great protection for the end less acacia thorns)
- Light rain coat / poncho (IMPORTANT)
- Scarf /bandana (for dust, coolant, sun protector)
- 1 pair of riding socks per day
- 1 pair of underwear’s per day– Staff traditionally do not do ladies smalls, washing powder is therefor available upon request for your convenience.
- 1 x pair of shorts (for travelling days, siesta times and if spending time on the beach)
- Wet Wipes
- Spare prescription glasses
- Binoculars 8-10 power manual focus (for each person)
- Dustproof camera bag
- Small flashlight, best to use is a head torch.
- Insect repellent
- Chap stick
- Small bird book
- Swimming suit (Natron ride)
- WATERBOTTLE (to keep in your saddle bag)
See below the weight and size limits for luggage carried on the aircraft. If someone has excess luggage, with prior arrangements Kaskazi is happy for a small fee of $25 pp, look after the luggage and hand it back before departure back home.
Luggage should be of the soft-‐‑sided or duffel type, especially if flying in small aircraft. The usual weight requirement on small aircraft is 15 kilograms or 33 pounds per person on a full aircraft.
On bigger aircraft passengers may carry one item of hand baggage only; measuring a maximum 56 x 45 x 25cm. This means one brief case, one handbag, and rucksack, suit or dress carrier. There is no weight restriction but you must be able to place and retrieve the item of baggage safely in the overhead lockers. Anything bigger than hand baggage (56 x 45 x 25cm) will need to be checked in as hold baggage. One hold bag of up to 20kg per passenger is permitted for the fee of $5 or Tsh 8,000.
Please check with your booking agent, which aircraft you will be flying with.